[Dovecot] dotlock errors without using dotlock

Robin Breathe robin+dovecot at isometry.net
Fri Jan 25 11:54:07 EET 2008

On 20 Dec 2007, at 16:41, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-12-20 at 10:31 -0500, Brian Taber wrote:
>> I have my setup using fctrl for mailbox and index locking.
>
> Oh, and as for this, Dovecot uses only dotlocking for maildir's
> dovecot-uidlist file, regardless of what your settings are. I was
> thinking about changing this in future releases though.

A vote for getting this changed - we've been seeing terrible IMAP
performance under Solaris 10 when CONTROL points to a ZFS filesystem,
seemingly caused by excessive latency on the low level zfs_create()
call (client sessions sometimes lock for in excess of a minute).
Background reading suggests that ZFS currently reacts badly to the
constant creation/deletion of many tiny files (to give you an idea of
scale we have ~20k users). As a workaround we've had to create a UFS
filesystem on a ZFS volume to house CONTROL files.

Regards,
Robin