[Dovecot] proxy configuration

WJCarpenter bill-dovecot at carpenter.ORG
Sun Jan 27 02:40:11 EET 2008

Before I spend some time experimenting with what might be impossible,
maybe someone can just tell me (either "how" or that it's
impossible).

I'd like to get perdition out of my environment (mainly to have one
less moving part in my architecture).  I'm looking at dovecot's
built-in proxying.  In my setup, I don't have dedicated front-end
machines.  A user can connect to any server, but their mail files live
on one particular machine.  I'd like to transparently proxy them from
whatever machine they happen to hit to their home machine.

Except for the "proxy_maybe" feature advertised for dovecot 1.1, I
don't see a surefire way to do this.  Has anyone done it, or can
anyone say for sure that it can't reasonably be done until
"proxy_maybe"?

Tx!
--
bill-dovecot at carpenter.ORG (WJCarpenter)    PGP 0x91865119