[Dovecot] Thunderbird Problem - What causes this?

Marc Perkel marc at perkel.com
Mon Jan 28 00:40:13 EET 2008

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Sunday 27 January 2008 20:49:42 Anne Wilson wrote:
>
>> On Sunday 27 January 2008 15:41:04 Marc Perkel wrote:
>>
>>> Strange problem and I'm not sure what's causing it. I'm using IMAP. A
>>> new message arives in the inbox. I see it displayed in the message list
>>> in bold. I click on the message and it looks like it's reading it by the
>>> still bold (unread). However I can then click on an old message and then
>>> click on the new message again and it reads.
>>>
>> I have reported the same behaviour in KMail over Dovecot - and someone else
>> also reported it.  That seems to suggest that it's a Dovecot problem.
>>

> I should have said that I reported it on the kde-pim list, as I thought it was
> a Konntact problem.  I classed it as a minor annoyance, and didn't follow it
> up when no-one seemed to know why it was happening.
>
> Anne

OK - I didn't know that I might be reporting something new. Here's some
more details. I leave my computer on at might (Windows XP) and it's
worse in the morning when I wake up. Thunderbird's checks the email
every 1 minute and it's set up to check several IMAP folders. I'm
running the latest Thunderbird release as will as the latest Dovecot
(not the beta versions).

In the morning it is as if it can't access dovecot at all. I get an hour
glass as if it is waiting for something that's never going to respond.
But if I shut down Thunderbird and restart it then everything works
normal for a while.

My server is doing a lot of work but the load levels are low. Running
Fedora 8, dual core AMD 6000+ processor with 8 gigs of ram.

My experimenting with adding more authentication processes seems to help
but I could be fooling myself. That's why I'm experimenting to try to
figure out what's making it slow.

Like someone else said, I saw something like this happen with several
RCs but at the time I thought it was MBOX related. I'm not using Maildir.

Hope this extra info helps.