[Dovecot] Thunderbird Problem - What causes this?

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Jan 28 03:59:37 EET 2008

on 1/27/2008 2:40 PM Marc Perkel spake the following:

> Anne Wilson wrote:

>>> I have reported the same behaviour in KMail over Dovecot - and
>>> someone else
>>> also reported it.  That seems to suggest that it's a Dovecot problem.
>>>

>> I should have said that I reported it on the kde-pim list, as I
>> thought it was a Konntact problem.  I classed it as a minor annoyance,
>> and didn't follow it up when no-one seemed to know why it was happening.
>>
>> Anne
>>

> OK - I didn't know that I might be reporting something new. Here's some
> more details. I leave my computer on at might (Windows XP) and it's
> worse in the morning when I wake up. Thunderbird's checks the email
> every 1 minute and it's set up to check several IMAP folders. I'm
> running the latest Thunderbird release as will as the latest Dovecot
> (not the beta versions).
Hammering the server every minute can be hard on the server. Especially if all
the users do the same. I personally make users check no more than every 10
minutes automatically.

> In the morning it is as if it can't access dovecot at all. I get an hour
> glass as if it is waiting for something that's never going to respond.
> But if I shut down Thunderbird and restart it then everything works
> normal for a while.
I use Xp and also leave it on all the time. Sometimes Thunderbird will seem to
run out of memor, and a restart is the only thing that will help. But in my
case it isn't dovecot because I can still read my mail from other clients and
other machines.

> My server is doing a lot of work but the load levels are low. Running
> Fedora 8, dual core AMD 6000+ processor with 8 gigs of ram.
>
> My experimenting with adding more authentication processes seems to help
> but I could be fooling myself. That's why I'm experimenting to try to
> figure out what's making it slow.

Trimming the accesses down from every minute should help this also.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and