[Dovecot] Howto set mail_location for system users over LDAP?

Patrick Ben Koetter p at state-of-mind.de
Mon Jan 28 11:32:08 EET 2008

In parallel to /etc/passwd I do have my system users in LDAP. I want to store
their messages in /srv/mail/state-of-mind/<username>.

Dovecot has been configured to retrieve the extra field mail to override the
mail_location setting. I can see in the log it retrieves the correct
information as long as I run Dovecot deliver as Postfix service 'dovecot' as
shown in section "Virtual users" <http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Postfix>.

However if I use deliver as specified for "System users" it ignores the LDAP
settings and delivers messages to my users $HOME directory as specified in
/etc/passwd.

Is this correct behaviour? What do I need to do to use the Postfix
$mailbox_command _and_ have Dovecot deliver honor my LDAP settings?

TIA,

p at rick

--
state of mind
Agentur für Kommunikation, Design und Softwareentwicklung

Patrick Koetter            Tel: 089 45227227
Echinger Strasse 3         Fax: 089 45227226
85386 Eching               Web: http://www.state-of-mind.de