[Dovecot] Dovecot/SeLinux issues after RHEL5.1 upgrade

Ion Soltan webmaster at forlangs.net
Mon Jan 28 18:17:52 EET 2008

Hello to everyone on the list,

I have upgraded my RHEL4 to RHEL5.1 yesterday (all updates have been applied to it as well). I used to have dovecot v0.99.11 on the old system. Everything was working fine. Now I have 5.1 and its respective dovecot v1.0.rc15.

Upon upgrading to RHEL5.1, dovecot no longer works correctly. The first thing I did after rewriting the config file for the updated version, was to check my own email. It works fine. However, no other user on the system can check his/hers.

Here is what the log shows for everyone except myself:

Jan 27 13:56:41 warp dovecot: POP3(jj): open() failed with file /home/jj/mail/.imap/INBOX/dovecot.index.log: Permission denied
Jan 27 13:56:41 warp dovecot: POP3(jj): open() failed with file /home/jj/mail/.imap/INBOX/dovecot.index.log: Permission denied
Jan 27 13:56:41 warp dovecot: POP3(jj): Couldn't open INBOX: Internal error occurred. Refer to server log for more information. [2008-01-27 13:56:41]

There are NO complaints reported by selinux in the logs. If I setenforce 0 (disable selinux), everything is working fine for everyone.

If I disable selinux monitoring on dovecot (setsebool dovecot_disable_trans 1), nothing changes, which makes me think that something else is causing the problem. I do very much want to use selinux, however, I cannot figure out what the problem is and I have been trying for many hours. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Ion