[Dovecot] Apple Mail for 10.4/Shadow/SSL -> Problem.

Phredd Groves phredd at paradox.psych.columbia.edu
Wed Jan 30 20:09:54 EET 2008

I have recently gotten Dovecot running on my Solaris 5.8 mail server in order
to replace UW IMAP.  I'm currently testing it out with mail clients popular
amongst my users.  It's been working very well, with one vital exception.

Apple Mail on OS X 10.4 is not completing authentication (I don't think
it's even getting that far).

All I'm seeing in the syslog for attempts with Apple Mail (for both IMAP
and POP3) is a single line per attempt:

Jan 29 17:20:01 paradox dovecot: [ID 107833 mail.info] imap-login: Disconnected: rip=X.X.X.X, lip=Y.Y.Y.Y, TLS handshake

This is even with verbose for auth and for SSL.  I know syslog plays well with
mail.warning and mail.debug and mail.notice, so I'm not quite sure what's
going on there.  Nothing shows up in authlog or messages either.

The OS X 10.5 Apple mail client works just fine, as do Thunderbird and even
Eudora.  There did not seem to be any coverage of this when I googled and
went through the dovecot archives, so I'm thinking it might be some weird
interaction between that particular client and the SSL/shadow implementation
in dovecot (Things work in UW IMAP for the client).

Any suggestions?  thanks!

# /usr/local/sbin/dovecot -n
# 1.0.10: /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf
protocols: imaps pop3s
ssl_listen(default): *:997
ssl_listen(imap): *:997
ssl_listen(pop3): *:998
ssl_cert_file: /usr/local/ssl/certs/imapd.pem
ssl_key_file: /usr/local/ssl/certs/imapd.pem
verbose_ssl: yes
shutdown_clients: no
login_dir: /usr/local/var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable(default): /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(imap): /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(pop3): /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/pop3-login
login_greeting_capability(default): no
login_greeting_capability(imap): no
login_greeting_capability(pop3): yes
first_valid_uid: 100
mail_location: mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
mail_executable(default): /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(imap): /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(pop3): /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/pop3
mail_plugin_dir(default): /usr/local/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_plugin_dir(imap): /usr/local/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_plugin_dir(pop3): /usr/local/lib/dovecot/pop3
imap_client_workarounds(default): outlook-idle delay-newmail tb-extra-mailbox-sep
imap_client_workarounds(imap): outlook-idle delay-newmail tb-extra-mailbox-sep
imap_client_workarounds(pop3): outlook-idle
pop3_uidl_format(default):
pop3_uidl_format(imap):
pop3_uidl_format(pop3): %08Xv%08Xu
pop3_client_workarounds(default):
pop3_client_workarounds(imap):
pop3_client_workarounds(pop3): outlook-no-nuls oe-ns-eoh
auth default:
  verbose: yes
  passdb:
    driver: shadow