[Dovecot] Gnus and dovecot time out

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jan 31 18:55:11 EET 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 17:51 +0100, Richard G Riley wrote:
> Could someone suggest what the solution here is? Dovecot is terminating
> the connection to Gnus after a certain period of activity. It's my own
> mail server so no need to worry about "hogging resources". Should/could
> Dovecot be configured to keep the connection alive, or should Gnus be
> programmed to automatically reopen the conneection? The current problem
> that one can not leave an IMAP group if the connection is cut by the
> server.
..
> | "dovecot: 2008-01-31 08:50:38Info: IMAP(gour): Disconnected for
> | inactivity"

I'd say this is a Gnus bug. If an IMAP client wants the connection to
stay open, it should send something at least every 29 mins. Most (if not
all) IMAP servers disconnect connections after 30 minutes of idling.
This is hardcoded in Dovecot, but you can of course change it:

src/imap/common.h:
#define CLIENT_IDLE_TIMEOUT (60*30)