[Dovecot] FTS/squat search indexes built when?

Jay Levitt lists-dovecot at jay.fm
Mon Jul 14 15:07:46 EEST 2008

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-06-14 at 07:56 -0400, Jay Levitt wrote:
>> But what I'm not clear about: Does it then get updated on every delivery
>> by LDA?  Or does the index also need to get updated when I do a search,
>> assuming there's been at least one message delivered since the last search?
>
> Currently it gets updated only when searching. I wanted to have it
> updated immediately (optionally) while mails are being delivered, but
> never got around to implementing it.

OK, some followups then:

- Is the index rebuilt from scratch every time, or should updates be fairly
quick?  I just did a search on my inbox (about 10,000 messages), and I know
I've done a search there in the past month - yet it either took many, many
minutes, or it timed out.

- If I wrote a script to log in and search for something, and ran it every
night through cron, would that achieve daily indexing?

Jay