[Dovecot] Mails "invisible" (index corrupted?)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jul 21 15:44:59 EEST 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 11:43 +0800, Patrick Nagel wrote:
> > > Searching (in Subject or From header) within the Inbox turned up the
> > > missing messages though.
> >
> > If they're found when searching via Dovecot, then Dovecot sees them..
>
> Yes, searching via dovecot - FTS (Squat) is activated though, if that makes
> any difference.

Not really.

> tar czf dovecot_metadata2.tar.gz dovecot*
> mv dovecot_metadata2.tar.gz ..
> rm dovecot.index*
> rm dovecot-uidlist
>
> [all mails were visible again]

That causes Dovecot to give a new UIDVALIDITY to the mailbox and assign
new UIDs to messages.

This really sounds like a client-side caching problem..

> I have attached dovecot_metadata.tar.gz minus dovecot.index.cache.

I don't see anything special there, but I guess it would have helped if
I also had a list of filenames in cur/ and new/ and also which files
contained the missing messages.