[Dovecot] Conversion help

Jason Frisvold xenophage0 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 19:01:47 EEST 2008

Hi there,

I'm working on converting my server from using bincimap to dovecot.  I
seem to be having some trouble with folders, however.  Binc was set up
like this :

    depot = "IMAPdir",                           /* Use Maildir++ style
    type = "Maildir",                              /* only Maildir
    path = "Maildir",                              /* default path */
    auto create inbox = "yes",                     /* create INBOX in
    auto subscribe mailboxes = "INBOX",            /* list mailboxes
    umask = "077"                                  /* use this umask

I have dovecot set up thusly :

mail_location = maildir:/home/vpopmail/domains/%d/%n/Maildir

namespace private {
   separator = /
   prefix = INBOX/
   inbox = yes
   hidden = yes
}

The problem is, I'm not seeing any folders..  If I do a listing in the
directory, I see this :

-rw-------  1 vpopmail vchkpw  35453 Mar 10  2004 bincimap-cache
-rw-------  1 vpopmail vchkpw    702 Jul 16 19:20 .bincimap-subscribed
-rw-------  1 vpopmail vchkpw     73 Mar 10  2004 bincimap-uidvalidity
drwx------  2 vpopmail vchkpw 532480 Jul 21 11:49 cur
-rw-------  1 vpopmail vchkpw  25956 Jul 21 11:49 dovecot.index
-rw-------  1 vpopmail vchkpw  35840 Jul 21 11:49 dovecot.index.cache
-rw-------  1 vpopmail vchkpw  18220 Jul 21 11:49 dovecot.index.log
-rw-------  1 vpopmail vchkpw  42080 Jul 21 11:34 dovecot.index.log.2
-rw-------  1 vpopmail vchkpw 106631 Jul 21 11:49 dovecot-uidlist
drwx------  2 vpopmail vchkpw   4096 Jul 21 09:38 INBOX
drwx------  5 vpopmail vchkpw   4096 Jul 20 16:17 INBOX\.Drafts
drwx------  5 vpopmail vchkpw   4096 Jul 16 18:53 INBOX\.Learn FP
drwx------  5 vpopmail vchkpw   4096 Jul 20 17:37 INBOX\.Learn Spam
drwx------  5 vpopmail vchkpw   4096 Jul 16 18:56 INBOX\.Sent
drwx------  5 vpopmail vchkpw   4096 Jul 20 17:37 INBOX\.Spam
drwx------  5 vpopmail vchkpw   4096 Jul 21 11:44 INBOX\.Trash
drwx------  2 vpopmail vchkpw 348160 Jul 21 11:53 new
drwx------  2 vpopmail vchkpw   4096 Jul 21 11:53 tmp
-rw-------  1 vpopmail vchkpw     72 Jul 16 18:57 uidvalfilename

It would appear that I need to use . as my separator, but that doesn't
work either..  Any thoughts?

Also, I'm using SQL for authentication.  Is there a limitation to the
characters allowed in the password?  I was unable to use a password
with a # in it, or is there a way to escape it?

# 1.0.7: /etc/dovecot.conf
protocols: imap imaps
ssl_cert_file: /path/to/cert.pem
ssl_key_file: /path/to/cert.pem
ssl_cipher_list: !ADH:RC4+RSA:HIGH:MEDIUM:LOW:EXP:+SSLv2:+EXP
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
first_valid_uid: 89
mail_location: maildir:/home/vpopmail/domains/%d/%n/Maildir
mail_debug: yes
namespace:
  type: private
  separator: /