[Dovecot] Dovecot 1.1.1 killed with SIGABRT

Andreas M. Kirchwitz amk at krell.zikzak.de
Mon Jul 21 19:08:40 EEST 2008

Timo Sirainen wrote:

 > Fixed: http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-1.1/rev/ea00b1553ef1

Great, thanks!

 >> Jul 12 01:04:45 linux dovecot: Panic: IMAP(user2): file index-sync.c: line 39 (index_mailbox_set_recent_uid): assertion failed: (seq_range_exists(&ibox->recent_flags, uid))
 >
 >> Stopping and restarting the complete Dovecot subsystem with the help
 >> of the init.d script didn't help. Finally the crashes stopped after
 >> removing the cache files in /home/user2/Mail/.imap/INBOX.
 >
 > By "cache files" do you mean dovecot.index*? The dovecot.index.cache
 > file should have nothing to do with this problem.

Hmm, yes, I think so. But now that you ask, hmm, there might be a
slight chance that I also stripped the IMAP-related header keywords
(X-IMAP*, X-UID*) from /var/spool/mail/user2. But before you asked
I was pretty sure I just removed the directory ~user2/Mail/.imap/INBOX
(containing dovecot.index, dovecot.index.cache and dovecot.index.log).

The reason I'm not 100% sure is that, after things were working again,
I stopped Dovecot, removed all caches (Dovecot + Thunderbird) and
*then* stripped the IMAP-related header keywords; just to make sure
that all applications don't use any "bad data" that were left over
by the crash. Well, it happened a week ago... I'm really unsure now,
sorry.

Would that make more sense if I had not just removed the cache
files but also stripped the IMAP-related header keywords from
the INBOX file?

 > Was this a completely new Dovecot installation, so Dovecot v1.0 was
 > never run?

When I replaced Dovecot 1.0 with the new Dovecot 1.1, I removed
the cache files (rm -rf /home/*/Mail/.imap) and also stripped the
IMAP-related header keywords from all mbox files (X-IMAP*, X-UID*).
Don't worry, I don't do this for every update, but I did a lot of
things with my old Dovecot 1.0 installation, and I had this feeling
that now it's a good time for some clean-up. ;-)

Btw, I've had this problem only once. Never before, never after that.
So whatever it is, it happens very rarely. If it happens again,
I promise, I'll better keep track of my actions and all files.

	Greetings ... Andreas