[Dovecot] Squat indexing a Maildir of over 600 GB?

John Wells lists at sourceillustrated.com
Mon Jul 21 19:55:27 EEST 2008

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 12:50 PM, Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 12:37 -0400, John Wells wrote:
>> Guys,
>>
>> We have a very large maildir for email auditing purposes. It's
>> currently at 600 GB and continues to grow.
>>
>> Can dovecot handle this with squat indexing, or am I out of my mind?
>
> You can try of course, but that might be a bit too much. :) I've only
> tested with a 1,4 GB mailbox and memory usage went somewhere like 700 MB
> I think.

Aha...I see...I was under the mistake impression that this was a
disk-based index.

Given that squat seem unfeasible, can anyone recommend another
approach? I'll look at Lucene integration, but if anyone knows of a
dovecot way or of another tool that would do this effectively,
commercial or open source, please let me know.

Thanks!
John