[Dovecot] A couple of dovecot issues I've noted recently...

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jul 21 23:59:37 EEST 2008

On Jul 21, 2008, at 11:42 PM, Dan Price wrote:

> On Sun 20 Jul 2008 at 06:05PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>> On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 17:09 -0700, Dan Price wrote:
>>
>> You don't have a separate mail directory, so users sometimes list
>> their
>> entire home directory which can contain a huge directory tree,
>> causing
>> out of memory?
>
> I rely on users to set their mail directory in their IMAP
> client appropriately-- this is because we have a historical mix
> of users with ~/Mail, ~/mail, and in some weird cases other
> dir names in their home directories where they store their mail.

You could create a namespace for each of them: http://wiki.dovecot.org/Namespaces

And for the few weird cases just force the users to move their mails
to one of the standard directories.. :)

> I don't know why (it seems obvious now) but I hadn't worked out that
> it was a recursive directory walk which might be causing this.  I can
> now hunt down these users and help them.  Thanks!

That reminds me I should some day add code to detect and not follow
loops.

>>> A final problem, and this one affects me personally, is that
>>> we see some errors like this:
>>>
>>> dovecot: Jul 09 11:52:10 Error: IMAP(dp): FETCH for mailbox mail/
>>> tmp-inbox UID 92086 got too little data: 6054 vs 6057
>>
>> But as for why it happens in the first place, that's a bit
>> difficult to
>> guess. Is the difference always 3 bytes? Anything else than Dovecot
>> modifying the mboxes?
>
> Seems to be 3 in most cases.  Take a look; I've marked the ones which
> aren't offset by 3:

Hmm. I don't really have any ideas why those could happen, other than
something else besides Dovecot modifying the mboxes..

> My first step will be to blow away the dovecot index files for all
> of these users.  Thanks so much for your help.

Deleting dovecot.index.cache file is enough. v1.1 also does this
automatically.