[Dovecot] Namespaces

Kyle Wheeler kyle-dovecot at memoryhole.net
Tue Jul 22 18:47:08 EEST 2008

On Tuesday, July 22 at 10:33 AM, quoth Jason Frisvold:
> I'm working to convert from a bincIMAP setup to a Dovecot setup.
> I've tried messing around with namespaces to make the conversion
> transparent, but I'm getting nowhere.  Are namespaces necessary?  Or
> can I proceed by recursively renaming the folders on the server?  A
> transparent solution would be wonderful, but I can't get it to work
> for me..

I converted from Binc to Dovecot a while back, and I didn't use
namespaces at all. Since I had been using the IMAPdir schema in Binc,
I had to rename all the folders to match the Maildir++ schema, but
that was a pretty simple script to write. If you're using the
Maildir++ schema in Binc, then you don't have to do any renaming at
all! As part of the transition process, what I did first, while I was
testing out Dovecot, was to create a Maildir++ full of symlinks that
pointed back to the folders in the Binc IMAPdir. That way I could test
it without affecting the live server. Once I had that working, all I
had to do was change my script to move the directories rather than
symlinking them.

The trick for me wasn't so much getting the folders into the right
location as it was migrating all the other data that I didn't think
about, such as the subscription lists and most importantly: the UID
data. If you don't migrate the UIDs correctly, your users will
probably end up re-downloading EVERY message, because their mail
clients have no way of knowing that the messages haven't actually
changed.

~Kyle
--
No nation is permitted to live in ignorance with impunity.
                                                    -- Thomas Jefferson