[Dovecot] tcp-wrappers.patch

Edgar Fuß ef at math.uni-bonn.de
Wed Jul 23 16:31:20 EEST 2008

I'd like to see tcp-wrappers.patch getting integrated into dovecot.
I ported the original 1.0 patch to 1.1, but would prefer not to have to maintain another local patch.

As the name suggests, the patch adds libwrap support to dovecot. We use is to limit access from outside our network to secure (imaps/pop3s) protocols only and to exclude certain internal addresses from accessing dovecot in general.

I fully understand Timo's concern of people not reading documentation and then whining that librwapping doesn't work whereas they simply forgot to put hosts.{allow,deny} into the login chroot.

Would it be acceptable if either dovecot itself or the init script copies /etc/hosts.{allow,deny} into the chroot (unless it's already there)?

Also, dovecot could probably complain/abort/turn off libwrap if these files are missing in the login chroot.

The problem mainly occurs with the default (Linux) setting of login_dir = /var/run/dovecot/login; on NetBSD, I use /var/chroot/dovecot-login instead, which doesn't get wiped out at boot.

Comments? Suggestions?

Oh, yes, managesieve (which uses src/login-common) would need a slight update, too.