[Dovecot] Problem authenticating iPod Touch

Mark Leisher mleisher at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 19:52:24 EEST 2008

Given the (slightly edited) config info below, iPod Touch users are
unable to connect, leaving the following message in the log file:

dovecot: Jul 23 10:00:40 Info: imap-login: Disconnected (auth failed, 0
attempts): rip=1.2.3.4, lip=5.6.7.8, TLS handshaking: Disconnected

Even with maximum logging on, no other error messages seem related to
this problem.

Am I missing something simple I didn't catch in the list archives? Or is
it more likely a problem on the iPod side? The iPods connect to our
non-dovecot IMAP servers with no problem.

# 1.1.1: /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf
base_dir: /var/run/dovecot/
log_path: /var/log/imap-dovecot
listen: *:143
ssl_listen *:943
ssl_cert_file: /etc/ssl/dovecot.pem
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_user: _dovecot
login_greeting: IMAP ready.
login_processes_count: 10
login_max_processes_count: 30