[Dovecot] DoveCot IMAP and "inconsistent state" messages

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jul 24 02:37:24 EEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 01:11 +0200, Christer Mjellem Strand wrote:
> Jul 21 14:27:41 betty dovecot: IMAP(foobar): Maildir
> /var/vpopmail/domains/foobar.baz/foobar/Maildir sync: UID inserted in the
> middle of mailbox (4412 > 4385, file = 1214817167.16333_0.betty:2,RST)

Show your dovecot -n output? I suppose the users don't have direct
access to these maildirs, and nothing else besides Dovecot and procmail
touches them?

This error means that Dovecot lost that file and thought it was
expunged. But sometimes afterwards it saw the file again.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated, as none of my testing thus far have
> made any difference, and I can't seem to find any hints elsewhere.
> Could upgrading to 1.1 help at all? (I'd rather not try unless I know for
> sure)

v1.1 might not remove the root problem, but it will handle this better
by renaming the file and showing it to client as a new message instead
of returning "inconsistent state" error.