[Dovecot] Dovecot antispam (X-DSPAM-Signature)

Hugo Monteiro hugo.monteiro at fct.unl.pt
Thu Jul 24 03:50:11 EEST 2008

>>> I recently installed an IMAP server with dovecot and the dovecot
>>> antispam plugin with dspam backend.
>>>
>>> If I configure dspam to not include the signature in the
>>> X-DSPAM-Signature header will I be able to move mail into SPAM folder?
>>>

>> Not with the dspam backend.
>>
>> johannes
>>
> I think that the question wasn't to the point. The problem we have is in
> the transition phase. At one point we have emails with the DPSAM header
> and emails that haven't got it but we don't want users to notice the
> introduction of this plugin and DSPAM. So we would like to allow users
> to move any mail to the spam folder even if those mails haven't got the
> DSPAM signature. In which case the email could be moved and not passed
> to dspam.
>
> If you see this as a functionality that could go into your plugin we
> would be willing to develop the patch based on any idea you have on how
> this should be done.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Nuno Lopes

Hello Nuno,

Just use the mailtrain backend instead of the dspam exec backend. That way
you will gain more than just the plugin "allowing" you to move non-marked
messages. Since the messages enter the mail system again through forward,
you can even cook up a method to retrain if the message already has a
X-DSPAM header, or feed it as corpus if it doesn't.

Another advantage of the mailtrain backend is that it will most likely
scale a lot better than the dspam exec backend, if there are lots of
simultaneous retrains.

Regards,

Hugo Monteiro.