[Dovecot] Server-side sieve for client-side copies

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Jul 28 22:58:55 EEST 2008

on 7-28-2008 9:38 AM Daniel L. Miller spake the following:
> I know I could test this - but I'd rather ask first.  To my knowledge,
> we haven't come up with a good server-side implementation for savings
> copies of sent messages (by all means correct my ignorance in this
> regard).  So the typical way is to enable it in clients like Thunderbird
> (this prompted a whole discussion of how to save these messages without
> sending them to the server multiple times).
>
> My understanding is that sending a message from a client (use
> Thunderbird for simplicity of this conversation) is performed via SMTP.
> Saving a copy into a sent folder is performed via IMAP (hence the
> multiple transfers to the server).  Now that I've laid a background -
> let's make it Dovecot specific.  I don't know how "behind-the-scenes"
> Dovecot performs the act of saving mail messages that it receives from
> IMAP, instead of SMTP.  Specifically, if I'm using sieve filters via
> deliver - can I setup a filter that will place mail copies to specific
> recipients into specific subfolders?
Not easy, but set client to BCC yourself, and set filters for messages from
you/to you.
Until they modify the IMAP spec, and then every mail client is updated, it
just isn't going to be an easy fix.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and