[Dovecot] Dovecot load balancing

Thomas Hummel hummel at pasteur.fr
Thu Jul 31 16:26:06 EEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 03:07:28PM +0200, Chris Laif wrote:

> Do you use dovecot's delivery agent (LDA)?

As I stated, no. I need the procmail filtering features.

> If you use multiple servers you can use dovecot's proxy-feature to
> redirect the user to the correct server. You just need a database to
> tell dovecot (and the MTA) on how to find the correct location for
> that specific user.

I see, something like adding a hostName LDAP attribute to all my users in LDAP
dans putting this in dovecot-ldap.conf :

  pass_attrs=uid=user,userPassword=password,proxy,hostName=host

correct ?

I don't quite understand the proxy_maybe option :

proxy_maybe can be used to implement "automatic proxying". If the proxy
destination matches the current connection, the user gets logged in normally
instead of being proxied. If the same happens with proxy, the login fails with
"Proxying loops" error. This feature exists only in v1.1+.

Besides, let's say you want to split your load between 2 dovecot servers :
would you need a 3rd that would do only the proxying ?

--
Thomas Hummel 	    | Institut Pasteur
<hummel at pasteur.fr> | Pôle informatique - systèmes et réseau