[Dovecot] Dovecot load balancing

Thomas Hummel hummel at pasteur.fr
Thu Jul 31 18:03:11 EEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 09:21:16AM -0500, Gabriel Millerd wrote:

> I am not seeing the issue, your seeing issues with the UA spreading
> the connects across multiple servers?

I was thinking of what is described here in the Wiki :

http://wiki.dovecot.org/NFS

"NFS caching is a big problem when multiple computers are accessing the same
mailbox simultaneously. The best fix for this is to prevent it from happening.
Configure your setup so that a user always gets redirected to the same server
(unless it's down)."

and also

"If the user gets occasionally redirected to another server, the indexes will
then be created locally there."

but maybe you mean that it isn't an issue with

"Dovecot v1.1 flushes NFS caches when needed if you set mail_nfs_storage=yes
(and mail_nfs_index=yes if indexes are on NFS)." ?

Maybe if indexes are on the filer, each server can see the dovecot.index.cache
and the only problem left is nfs attribute caching ?

>  The same filer for a backend right?

Right.

> I would see the pre-delivery being more of a issue than dovecot
> performance wise especially with the LDA, hefty caching, and good
> maildir file naming.

What do you mean by good maildir file naming ?

--
Thomas Hummel 	    | Institut Pasteur
<hummel at pasteur.fr> | Pôle informatique - systèmes et réseau