[Dovecot] v1.0.14 released

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Tue Jun 3 11:10:07 EEST 2008

On Tue, 03 Jun 2008, Curtis Maloney wrote:

> Matthias Andree wrote:
>> On Mon, 02 Jun 2008, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>>
>>> 	- proxy: Login success reply was sent in two IP packets, which
>>> 	  confused some IMAP/POP3 clients
>>
>> So? Fix the clients or have the kernel reassemble packets.
>> They can't control who and when is fragmenting and why anyways.
>>
>> I'm not against the change, but it's not a "solution".
>
> So include the work-around (that doesn't break anything) in Dovecot, and
> notify the maintainers of the broken clients to "Get a clue(tm)" :P

Yup. Buffered reads are a virtue :-)

> It does improve login latency for everyone... sure, not by much for most,
> but hey... :P

By how long? Generation time of the 2nd packet *header* providing it's
not reassembled along the path? Wow, impressive. Not. Buys you some 300
bits, that's perhaps 70 µs on my DSL, as the 2nd packet would usually be
within the TCP congestion window and be sent back to back to the 1st
packet of the response, so no additional round trip delays. I'd be
surprised if anyone noticed beyond "my broken client got pampered up".

OK, let's stop here and not be derisive or defaitist or otherwise
destructive, it's a Pareto optimization and as such probably justified.

--
Matthias Andree