[Dovecot] v1.1.rc8 released

Jost Krieger Jost.Krieger+dovecot at rub.de
Tue Jun 3 12:55:54 EEST 2008

On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 10:45:20AM +0200, Geert Hendrickx wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 10:27:32AM +0200, Jost Krieger wrote:
> > That could lead to slight problems, like hardlinking totally unrelated
> > messages, e.g. empty messages. Some Headers like From:, To:, Date:,
> > Subject: should probably be identical.
>
> Message-ID perhaps? :-)

Yep, add that ...

> > For some consistency, just removing  *locally* generated trace headers
> > before fingerprinting might lead to better results.
>
> That may still leave identical messages not hard-linked thus wasting space.
> Eg. if they come from MTA's that do recipient splitting, or messages that
> are routed via different systems.  The Received headers will be different
> but the body generally identical.

True, but these headers are quite important sometimes.

> I think a better solution is what was suggested here before, ie. to keep
> the (unique) message headers in a Maildir-like format, containing links to
> (single-instance stored) message bodies in a a separate location.

Probably better, but to make this transparent for the users, it would
need quite a bit of work in dovecot.

Jost
--
| Helft Spam ausrotten!                HTML in Mail ist unhöflich. |
| Postmaster, JAPH, manchmal Wahrsager               am RZ der RUB |