[Dovecot] Scriptable protocol design

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jun 3 20:34:34 EEST 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 19:37 +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> 1 list "" *
> 2 select <each mailbox>
> 3 uid search header Disposition-Notification-To ""
> 4 uid store <search result as msgset> +flags $MDNSent

I've once in a while thought about creating a new protocol to make
things like these easier. So it wouldn't attempt to replace IMAP (at
least initially :) but rather make scripting a lot easier. Perhaps the
syntax could be something similar to a programming language. Like:

list("" "*") > ($box) (
  select($box)
  search(header Disposition-Notification-To "") > ($msg) (
    store($msg + "$MDNSent")
    fetch($msg header subject)
  )
)

Hmm. Or I don't know. Anyone have some great ideas? :) Ideally it should
be something command/event-oriented like IMAP, but with ability to pipe
command results to other commands (but without allowing infinite loops).