[Dovecot] Antispam plugin custom behavior?

Andre Rodier andre.rodier at red2.co.uk
Wed Jun 11 20:34:49 EEST 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 10:25 -0500, Kyle Wheeler wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I currently have a setup on my system with what I call "magic folders"
> to enable spam filter training. Here's how it works:
>
>      1. If you have a false-negative, put the spam into the Spam.Report
>      folder
>      2. If you have a false-positive (which has all kinds of ugly
>      spamassassin protective markup in it), put the message into the
>      Spam.NotSpam folder
>
> Currently what happens is that a cron job comes along every five
> minutes and processes the messages in those folders. In the case of
> the NotSpam folder, it strips the message of the spamassassin markup,
> retrains the bayesian net, and redelivers the message (e.g. via
> deliver). In the case of the Report folder, the message is used to
> train the bayesian net (among other things) and then deleted.
>
> I'd love to be able to trigger these actions when the mail is moved,
> rather than have a cron job inspecting the mailboxes.
>
> I looked into the antispam plugin
> (http://johannes.sipsolutions.net/Projects/dovecot-antispam), which
> seems nice but doesn't appear sufficiently generic for my needs. What
> would really work is if I could get it set up such that putting a
> message into either of those directories is turned into piping the
> message to a script of my choosing (a different one for each folder).
>
> Does anyone know a good way of getting my own custom behavior in here,
> or is my cronjob setup probably the best way?
>
> ~Kyle

Hello Kyle,

As a temporary solution, and if your linux box as iNotify support, I
suggest you use incron. incron is an "inotify cron" system. It works
like the regular cron but is driven by filesystem events instead of time
events.

Andre Rodier
r e d 2 -  Service Driven Development
34-35 Eastcastle Street, London W1W 8DW