[Dovecot] [Patch] Fix delay on imao-append

Bruno Prémont bruno.premont at restena.lu
Fri Jun 13 13:01:46 EEST 2008

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-06-13 at 11:04 +0200, Bruno Prémont wrote:
> > The attached patch makes dovecot send the whole answer in a single
> > packet, thus not triggering the delay issue.
>
> Although the patch works for this APPEND case, it probably adds delays
> when other commands are pipelined, because tagged replies can be sent
> in the middle of processing multiple commands.
>
> Could you try if the attached patch fixes this also?

This patch works for me, it also avoids the delay seen on a different
install which produces EXISTS and RECENT messages:
  * n EXISTS\r\n

  * n RECENT\r\n
  <tag> OK [APPENDUID m n] Append completed.\r\n

Here EXISTS was sent in a separate packet, waiting for ACK then finally
sending RECENT and end tag in a second packet.

Bruno Prémont
RESTENA Foundation