[Dovecot] dovecot as gmail imap proxy

Alexander Prinsier aphexer at mailhaven.com
Tue Jun 17 18:13:32 EEST 2008

To have a speed increase, dovecot needs direct access to the emails. So
you'll need them stored locally. You can't use it as a proxy, just to
speed up things, because dovecot would just need to wait for gmail too,
to load an email (except if dovecot would cache the emails, but then
again, it's just a cache, and you're talking about 'critical applications').

I'm not sure, but I don't think there's even a way to run dovecot as a
proxy.

Why don't you forward mail from your gmail account to your own server?
That's so much easier and more common. You get the benefit of good
filtering, and you have your own server to access your mail. If your own
server goes down, you still have gmail as backup.

Alexander