[Dovecot] Some crashes with 1.1.1

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Jun 22 18:09:26 EEST 2008

On Jun 22, 2008, at 5:38 PM, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:

> I'm getting some cra shes with 1.1.1, but even with these start
>
> #!/bin/sh
> mkdir /var/core
> chmod 1777 /var/core
> echo /var/core/%p > /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern
> ulimit -n 65535
> ulimit -c unlimited
> /usr/local/sbin/dovecot -F
>
> I'm not getting any corefiles - why? It definitely used to work :)

Also from login processes? One problem with it is that it calls
setuid() after exec(), so kernel thinks it's a setuid-program and
doesn't dump its core. But I don't know if changing core_pattern is
supposed to change that behavior. The other problem is that it's
chrooted, but I guess that doesn't matter then.

> Jun 22 00:05:53 postamt dovecot: imap-login: *** glibc detected ***
> imap-login: free(): invalid pointer: 0x08cbd600 ***

Well, these really aren't good and there's a good chance that cores
won't help finding out the cause. The best way would be to run via
valgrind:

   login_executable = /usr/bin/valgrind /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/
imap-login

I don't really have any good guesses as to why these could be
happening, but could you post your dovecot -n output? Maybe there are
some less common settings..