[Dovecot] Upgrade to 1.1 maildir & shared folders problems

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Jun 28 09:31:34 EEST 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 10:50 +0300, sami at medusa.tutka.fi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We recently upgraded to Dovecot 1.1 from 1.0.5 and we are having few
> issues:
>
> 1) Maildir's are not created anymore for new users if they dont excits,
> the directories where created before, is this a configuration issue?

I did change the code so that the maildir creation is delayed until it's
really needed. But I don't know of any bugs in this, and I can't
reproduce your problem. Could you show the error messages from the log
file you get when a new user tries to access the mailbox?

> 2) Cannot subscribe to shared folders, if currently subscribed they work
> fine but cannot re-subscribe, also i noticed that the control directory
> for the namespace is not created anymore, before it was, any ideas?

Again the control directory creation is delayed until it's needed. So
that might not be the actual problem. Are there anything in error logs
when this happens?

Also could you try manually so you can see what exactly Dovecot replies
to the subscribe commands? Try something like:

telnet localhost 143
a login username password
b unsubscribe shared/some-mailbox
c subscribe shared/some-mailbox