[Dovecot] Security issue #5: mail_extra_groups setting is often used insecurely

Benoit Branciard Benoit.Branciard at univ-paris1.fr
Tue Mar 4 10:50:18 EET 2008

Timo Sirainen a écrit :
> mail_extra_groups=mail setting is often used insecurely to give Dovecot
> access to create dotlocks to /var/mail directory. If you don't use
> mboxes in /var/mail, make sure this setting is cleared.
> [...]
> 2a) mbox: Any files/directories under mail group-writable directories
> can be created/deleted/renamed by symlinking the directory under
> ~/mail/. For example ln -s /var/mail ~/mail/var, DELETE var/root will
> happily delete root's mailbox. This I hadn't thought about before.

Not if /var/mail is set sticky, which is the case on all good modern
Unix systems:

drwxrwsr-t 2 root mail 4096 2005-12-21 10:19 /var/mail/

> mail_privileged_group setting works by keeping the group in process's
> saved GID while it's not in use and temporarily switching it to
> effective GID while dotlocks are created. Currently this is done only
> when:
>
> 1. It's only done for INBOX mbox which doesn't exist under the same
> location as other mailboxes (so typically under /var/mail).
>
> 2. It's used only after initial dotlock creation try failed with EACCES
> error.

Too bad... I found mail_extra_groups to be a very handy (and secure) way
to handle Dovecot automatic index creation outside user's directory.

I have in dovecot.conf:

mail_extra_groups = mail

mail_location =
mbox:~/mail:INBOX=~/mail/INBOX:INDEX=/var/cache/dovecot/indexes/%16Hu/%u

As you can see, all indexes are maintained in /var/cache/dovecot (to be
excluded from filesystem quotas), and /var/cache/dovecot/indexes/X
directories are pre-created with these perms:

drwxrwsr-t  56 root mail 4096 2008-02-29 03:33 X

This way I don't bother creating index directories for every user, they
are created automatically as needed on the first access. I have also a
script to expunge old indexes not accessed since a while.

Without mail_extra_groups, I would need to set
/var/cache/dovecot/indexes/X directories world-writeable, which is quite
less elegant...

--
Ce message a ete verifie par MailScanner
suspect n'a ete trouve.