[Dovecot] /var/mail stickyness

Bill Cole dovecot-20061108 at billmail.scconsult.com
Tue Mar 4 17:37:52 EET 2008

At 3:35 PM +0100 3/4/08, Edgar Fuß wrote:
>>  Anyway I also thought that /var/mail would be sticky in at least some
>>  systems. I couldn't find a single one. CentOS 5, Debian, FreeBSD 6.2,
>>  Solaris 10 none have it sticky by default.
>It seems to be sticky on NetBSD.

Whether a directory used for system mboxes
(sometimes /var/mail, sometimes /var/spool/mail,
sometimes /usr/spool/mail *EWWW* ) needs to be
1777 or 0775 or Something Else is a function of
what sort of LDA(s) and MUA(s) and mailstore
server(s) need to access it and what some admin
has done in the past to make it work.

The core problem is that anything changing
mailboxes there probably needs to be able to
create and delete both mailbox files and
lockfiles there, so either you need to have a
bunch of well-vetted setgid software or you need
to use a 1777 or 3777 mail spool.

The best alternative would be a working mandatory
lock system in the OS and good gatekeeping on the
creation and deletion of mboxes, but that's not a
combination that multi-platform software can
count on...

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com