[Dovecot] Sorting a folder (by THREAD) takes a long time

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Fri Mar 7 08:57:11 EET 2008

My email workflow with Dovecot is that mail gets delivered to INBOX,
where I handle it and then move it into a folder called archive.

I have alpine set to use the Default sort of "THREAD" of a folder.  After
moving a (few) mail(s) from INBOX to archive, archive takes a long time
(10-50s) to load while alpine tells me:

                          [Sorting "archive"  ... ]

(I can do the IMAP traces, but I figure alpine's terminology is going to
be so similar to IMAP terminology that it should be straightforward enough
for Timo to know what I'm talking about.)

I don't actually know enough about Dovecot to say for sure what makes this
slow, but maybe it's just indexes not being updated?  What might be making
this slow, and what hope is there for it being fast? (-:

It seems like the really nice thing to do would be, after the save, in the
background examine the archive folder and update whatever caches need to
be updated.  The more work that happens while I'm not waiting, the happier
I'll be!  (Same goes for my mom, and the other less-technical users of
Dovecot.)

Is this the kind of thing I could write a plugin for...?

-- Asheesh.

--
It seems to make an auto driver mad if he misses you.