[Dovecot] Can't load private key file

adamsh at fsfa.org adamsh at fsfa.org
Fri Mar 7 20:18:59 EET 2008

Hi Guys,

I have just purchased and installed an authenticated certificate for the
mail server, but I am getting errors from dovecot.

My mail.err file is showing the following.

Mar  7 17:56:04 mailserver dovecot: pop3-login: Can't load private key file
/etc/ssl/mailserver/mail.mydomain.tld.key: error:0906A068:PEM
routines:PEM_do_header:bad password read

My dovecot.conf has the following set.

# Uncomment these if using SSL
ssl_cert_file = /etc/ssl/mailserver/mail.mydomain.tld.crt
ssl_key_file = /etc/ssl/mailserver/mail.mydomain.tld.key
#ssl_key_password =
#ssl_ca_file = /etc/ssl/mailserver/ca/mydomain.pem
#ssl_verify_client_cert = yes
ssl_parameters_regenerate = 168
verbose_ssl = no

I have been playing about with it all for about 3 hours now and would
greatly appreciate any help ;)

Regards
Adam