[Dovecot] 1.1 master auth not expanding static userdb variables

Andrew Roberts amr at noom.org
Sat Mar 8 23:21:13 EET 2008

Can dovecot-1.1 deliver work with static userdb?  I'm currently running
dovecot-1.0.12 and postfix-2.4.6, with virtual users' maildirs all owned
by vmail and mail_location = maildir:/var/mail/%Lu.  The following
definition of the dovecot transport in postfix/master.conf works fine with
dovecot-1.0:

dovecot         unix    -       n       n       -       1       pipe
      flags=DRh user=vmail:vmail argv=/usr/libexec/dovecot/deliver \
      -d ${user}@${nexthop} -n -m ${extension}

Note that I'm not using postfix pipe's "u" flag, since that lowercases
everything to the left of "@", including the extension, and we need the
extension to be case sensitive.  Dovecot is configured with static userdb
and args = user=%Lu uid=206 gid=206 home=/var/mailhomes/%Lu, which takes
care of making sure the username is lowercase.  All of this has been
working fine for some time with dovecot-1.0.

After upgrading to 1.1_rc2, however, deliver creates a maildir named "%Lu"
and delivers all mail for all users to it.  Everything else works just
fine as before:  users can log in, postfix can auth smtp via dovecot sasl,
etc.

I've tried invoking deliver with -k, adding "mail=maildir:/var/mail/%Lu"
to the end of the userdb args, and checked file permissions on the auth
sockets, maildirs, and virtual homes.  Rolling back to 1.0.12 is the only
way I can get deliver to behave as expected.

What changed between 1.0 and 1.1 in the way deliver does userdb
lookups or how dovecot auth serves  to it that could cause
this?  Does anyone here here have a similar config working with 1.1?  Has
anyone else observed similar behavior?

Thanks,
Andrew