[Dovecot] v1.1.rc2 released

Bruce Bodger bbodger at bodcon.com
Sun Mar 9 14:03:11 EET 2008

On Mar 9, 2008, at 7:46 AM, Timo Sirainen wrote:

>> G518X2:~/Temp/dovecot-1.1.rc2 root# dovecot -F
>> Fsetregid(65534,6) failed with euid=0: Operation not permitted
>
> And this happens with rc3 too? It's working in my Leopard at
> least.. I don't see why setregid() would fail since it's still
> running as root (euid=0). Maybe this is a Tiger-problem that's been
> fixed since.
>
> Try switching mail_drop_priv_before_exec setting? It might help, or
> maybe not.

Just compiled and installed rc3.  Tried with and without
mail_drop_priv_before_exec setting.  Still get...

G518X2:~/Temp/dovecot-1.1.rc3 root# dovecot -F
Fsetregid(65534,6) failed with euid=0: Operation not permitted
Error: imap dump-capability process returned 89
Fatal: Invalid configuration in /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf

Relevant portion of dovecot.conf:

# Group to enable temporarily for privileged operations. Currently
this is
# used only for creating mbox dotlock files when creation fails for
INBOX.
# Typically this is set to "mail" to give access to /var/mail.
mail_privileged_group = mail

# Grant access to these supplementary groups for mail processes.
Typically
# these are used to set up access to shared mailboxes. Note that it
may be
# dangerous to set these if users can create symlinks (e.g. if "mail"
group is
# set here, ln -s /var/mail ~/mail/var could allow a user to delete
others'
# mailboxes, or ln -s /secret/shared/box ~/mail/mybox would allow
reading it).
#mail_access_groups = mail

B. Bodger
New York, NY