[Dovecot] IMAP storage - mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir:mbox:~/mail/

Tim Alberts talberts at msiscales.com
Tue Mar 11 03:09:59 EET 2008

I'm moving to IMAP and trying to understand all the details of where to
save email.  The system is CentOS running sendmail - procmail which
delivers as:

DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/

I'm trying also to use Usermin as the webmail client.  I can get mail to
deliver to $HOME/Maildir/ and I can get clients (thunderbird outlook
etc) to view them.  However Usermin seems stuck with saving 'Drafts'
'Sent' and 'Trash' in $HOME/mail/ as mbox and Dovecot won't find them
even when I use the setting:

maildir:~/Maildir:mbox:~/mail/

I don't know what exact question to ask to I'll just ask for any
thoughts on this?

Second question, different topic.  Are there problems with running POP3
and IMAP?  I've always run POP3 and I'm thinking to move to IMAP for
some clients so the Usermin webmail will be better 'synchronized' with
the users inbox.

*> dovecot --version *
1.0.10
*> dovecot -n *
# 1.0.10: /etc/dovecot.conf
protocols: imap pop3
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable(default): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(imap): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(pop3): /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3-login
mail_location: maildir:~/Maildir:mbox:~/mail/
mail_executable(default): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(imap): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(pop3): /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3
mail_plugin_dir(default): /usr/lib64/dovecot/imap
mail_plugin_dir(imap): /usr/lib64/dovecot/imap
mail_plugin_dir(pop3): /usr/lib64/dovecot/pop3
pop3_client_workarounds(default):
pop3_client_workarounds(imap):
pop3_client_workarounds(pop3): outlook-no-nuls oe-ns-eoh
auth default:
  passdb:
    driver: pam
    args: dovecot