[Dovecot] Allowing tilde at start of mailbox names [listescape-plugin.c]

Adam McDougall mcdouga9 at egr.msu.edu
Tue Mar 11 18:54:29 EET 2008

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> I think the latest http://dovecot.org/patches/1.1/listescape-plugin.c
> should work with latest Dovecot from hg. At least I fixed the most
> obvious problems.

I have been using it for a few weeks and it has been working well, but
yesterday I noticed it also seems to be escaping the \ (backslash)
character in folder names.  This wouldn't be a problem except it breaks
operation of folders that already had a \ in the name before the plugin
was loaded.  This isn't a huge problem for us but I want to figure out
if I should special case migration of folder names containing a \ to be
the new internal representation \5c or if the plugin should just deal
with normal \'s in the foldernames properly.

Existing folder names with a \ such as \test still show up as \test in
the mail client listing, but all known attempts to access it fail, I
think internally it is probably looking for a folder named \5ctest and
not finding it.  Thus the user cannot read, delete, rename, unsubscribe,
anything.  They are stuck with a useless folder while the plugin is
loaded.  I doubt many of our users have this situation and they can
contact us to fix it if they notice, but I did have one user alert me of
it.  On the other hand if a folder and its subscription are manually
renamed to \5ctest, it works fine, or if they create a new one it uses a
\5c on the backend.

Thanks for assistance.