[Dovecot] outlook2003 fails sasl authentication

Johan Hendriks j.hendriks at schavemaker.com
Wed Mar 12 17:24:11 EET 2008

Hello all i have postfix running with dovecot-sasl and mysql as a backend.
It all runs good.

I run into trouble as where outlook 2003 fails to authenticate when
sending e-mail.
I have thunderbird outlook2007 and 2003 clients.
The tunderbird and 2007 clients are working OK, the outlook2003 client
get the relay access denied message.
In the postfix log i see it is not initiating sasl

they all use pop

i use dovecot 1.0.13
this is my posfix part of sasl

smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_exceptions_networks = $mynetworks
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
                permit_sasl_authenticated,
                reject_unauth_destination
                permit
smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth

and this is my dovecot sasl part
# dovecot SASL
socket listen {
        client {
          # Assuming the default Postfix $queue_directory setting
          path = /var/spool/postfix/private/auth
          mode = 0660
          # Assuming the default Postfix user and group
          user = postfix
          group = postfix
        }
      }

Am i doing something wrong?
I guess if it is not configured right outlook 2007 and thunderbird will
fail also!

regards,
Johan Hendriks