[Dovecot] IMAP storage - mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir:mbox:~/mail/

Tim Alberts talberts at msiscales.com
Wed Mar 12 20:07:17 EET 2008

Scott Silva wrote:
> on 3-10-2008 6:09 PM Tim Alberts spake the following:
>> I'm moving to IMAP and trying to understand all the details of where
>> to save email.  The system is CentOS running sendmail - procmail
>> which delivers as:
>>
>> DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/
>>
>> I'm trying also to use Usermin as the webmail client.  I can get mail
>> to deliver to $HOME/Maildir/ and I can get clients (thunderbird
>> outlook etc) to view them.  However Usermin seems stuck with saving
>> 'Drafts' 'Sent' and 'Trash' in $HOME/mail/ as mbox and Dovecot won't
>> find them even when I use the setting:
>>
>> maildir:~/Maildir:mbox:~/mail/
>>
>> I don't know what exact question to ask to I'll just ask for any
>> thoughts on this?
>>
>> Second question, different topic.  Are there problems with running
>> POP3 and IMAP?  I've always run POP3 and I'm thinking to move to IMAP
>> for some clients so the Usermin webmail will be better 'synchronized'
>> with the users inbox.
>>
> Do you have usermin set to access mail by IMAP or the default of
> accessing the mail directly on the filesystem?

I did have Usermin configured to read directly.  I have changed this so
Usermin goes through the local IMAP server (dovecot) and Usermin seems
to be working much better with the mail.

However, I have a new problem...

I've changed my mail location back to mbox as follows:

mail_location: mbox:~/mail/:INBOX=/var/mail/%u

This is working great with two exceptions.

First, using mozilla thunderbird as a client, I can create folders, but
I can't create sub-folders.  Why might this be?

Second, I have Usermin configured to save a copy of sent mail in a
folder 'Sent'. mozilla thunderbird is doing this OK, but Usermin is
not.  It gives me the following error on the web interface:

      Failed to send mail : Failed to set IMAP flags : Error in IMAP
      command UID: Invalid arguments.

Checking through the logs, I don't see any other errors so I'm having
trouble find out why?  The email does get delivered, but no copy is saved.

Current dovecont version/configuration:

*> dovecot --version *
1.0.10
*> dovecot -n *
# 1.0.10: /etc/dovecot.conf
protocols: imap pop3
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable(default): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(imap): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(pop3): /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3-login
mail_location: mbox:~/mail/:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
mail_executable(default): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(imap): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(pop3): /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3
mail_plugin_dir(default): /usr/lib64/dovecot/imap
mail_plugin_dir(imap): /usr/lib64/dovecot/imap
mail_plugin_dir(pop3): /usr/lib64/dovecot/pop3
pop3_client_workarounds(default):
pop3_client_workarounds(imap):
pop3_client_workarounds(pop3): outlook-no-nuls oe-ns-eoh
auth default:
  passdb:
    driver: pam
    args: dovecot
  userdb:
    driver: passwd
    args: blocking=yes

> On your second question, I run bothPOP3 and IMAP on the server. Some
> people with light traffic just want to get the mail to their PC, and
> other users want IMAP so they can work with their mail from multiple
> locations and computers.

That's exactly what I'm going for.  Good to hear I can expect it to work
fine.