[Dovecot] deliver fails - passdb doesn't support lookups?

Kyle Wheeler kyle-dovecot at memoryhole.net
Wed Mar 12 20:57:48 EET 2008

On Wednesday, March 12 at 11:40 AM, quoth Andrew Roberts:
> On Wed, 12 Mar 2008, Kyle Wheeler wrote:
>> I'm trying to get `deliver` (the LDA) to function properly. I can
>> get it to work without doing a user lookup, but for my own sense of
>> sanity, I want to know what I'm doing wrong getting user lookups
>> working. (I'm using dovecot 1.0.10).
>>
>> Here's what I have in the "auth default" section:
>>             args = uid=3728 gid=3728 home=/domains/%Ld/%Ln
>
>> passdb? I thought it was the userdb that was important! What's going on here?
>
> With a static userdb, dovecot still wants to verify that the user exists
> with a passdb lookup.  If your MTA is configured to verify that the user
> exists before passing mails to the LDA, you safely tell userdb to disable
> this check by  addding "allow_all_users=yes" to your passdb args.

Ahhh! That makes sense, thank you! Okay, so allow_all_users=yes would
make it work... but what if I do want it to check users. What might I
have wrong in my ldap settings that would prevent it from looking up
users? And what kind of a performance penalty do I pay for making that
lookup?

~Kyle
--
The best way to know God is to love many things.
                                                    -- Vincent Van Gogh