[Dovecot] Hardlinking with Sieve

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Mar 14 16:27:56 EET 2008

On Mar 14, 2008, at 4:00 PM, Anders wrote:

> I have a simple Sieve rule to protect me from accidentally deleting
> mail:
>
>  fileinto :copy "backup";
>
> Should I expect this backup to be hardlinked to the ordinary one?
> Obviously, that would make the backup be almost for free in terms of
> storage, but currently I do not see any linking.
>
> Using Maildir, by the way, and I have not touched the
> maildir_copy_with_hardlinks setting.

This maybe wouldn't be too difficult to implement with v1.1, although
to do it cleanly would require all kinds of API changes..

deliver works by first reading the incoming mail into a buffer in
memory, which may also be written to /tmp if the buffer gets too
large. This buffer is then accessed as a "raw" mailbox containing a
single message. If this mail was always written to the same filesystem
as the destination maildir(s) and maildir code somehow knew that mails
from raw storage can be link()ed to maildir files, this would work.

Feel free to try and implement it. :)