[Dovecot] problems with postfix->procmail->deliver

Andy Greenwood andy at agreenwood.dnsalias.com
Mon Mar 17 18:38:58 EET 2008

Hi all.

I'm relatively new to Dovecot, but I really like what I'm seeing so far.
I have one problem that I was hoping you could help me with though. I
use Postfix for my mail server, then pass that on to procmail for
filtering, and finally to deliver to put the mail in the appropriate
Maildir folder. However, this isn't working. Postfix passes the mail to
procmail correctly, but procmail is failing when it tries to call
deliver. My system-wide procmailrc matches the lower one shown here:
http://wiki.dovecot.org/procmail?highlight=%28procmail%29 which uses
deliver.

My personal ~/.procmailrc is of similar format

:0
* ^List-id:.<beginners.perl.org>
#.perl/
| $DELIVER -m perl

:0
* ^Sender:.owner.freebsd-\/[^@]+ at FreeBSD.ORG
{
 LISTNAME=${MATCH}
 :0
 * LISTNAME??^\/[^@]+
# .freebsd-${MATCH}/
| $DELIVER -m freebsd-${MATCH}
}

:0
* ^Sender:.owner-cvs-all at freebsd.org
#.cvs-all/
| $DELIVER -m cvs-all

:0
#.work/
| $DELIVER -m work

:0
#$HOME/Maildir/
| $DELIVER

However, my procmail logs show this error message for every message that
comes through:
Fatal: destination user parameter (-d user) not given

I can see that the variable $DELIVER doesn't use the -d parameter, but
I'm not sure on how I would specify the value in a multi-user system. I
know I could just use deliver directly from Postfix, but I really want
to use the filtering capabilities of procmail. If you need any
additional information, just let me know. Thanks in advance for any help
you can give, and big thanks for this great piece of software!

Andy Greenwood