[Dovecot] Can the LDA deliver email marked as read?

Kyle Wheeler kyle-dovecot at memoryhole.net
Mon Mar 17 23:52:55 EET 2008

Hello,

One of my users wants to be able to deliver email (e.g. via a procmail
script) and mark it *read* when it's delivered. We use Maildir as our
mail storage format. I have a bit of a hack script put together that
will do it by directly manipulating the Maildir (it delivers the email
using safecat, and then renames the file into the "cur" directory with
the necessary flags appended to the file name), but this is a hack at
best, and has the problem that if Dovecot is monitoring the file, it
could potentially fail to work---there is a race between delivery and
renaming.

I've been slowly moving our site in the direction of using the Dovecot
LDA to deliver mail. Is there a way (via a plugin, maybe?) to get the
LDA to mark mail as "read" when it is delivered?

~Kyle
--
He who dares not offend cannot be honest.
                                                        -- Thomas Paine