[Dovecot] Remote resources in kde-pim

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 19 15:53:41 EET 2008

On Wednesday 19 March 2008 11:14, Steffen Kaiser wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008, Anne Wilson wrote:
> >
> > /var/log/maillog shows these lines
> >
> > Mar 17 13:35:52 borg2 postfix/smtp[24339]: fatal: specify a password
> > table via the `smtp_sasl_password_maps' configuration parameter
>
> Hmm, I'd say that postfix has nothing to do with it. If you want to have
> postfix authentificate from the same Database as Dovecot, you need it, but
> otherwise I do not see no relation. Or do you installed some script, that
> checks mails for Groupware-related ones and act upon them immediately?
>
> I cannot help you with Postfix.
>
> For shared resources you'll need yet another, shared account or look into
> the ACL plugin. KOrganizer even supports imap URLs natively, I saw right
> now.

I really want the simplest possible design.  I have created an account on the
server called groupware.  I've created a dimap account (in kmail on the
client) called groupware and given it the password for the user groupware.
When I found that I got rejections I read such docs as I found, and they
seemed to say that I must have sasl working.  The docs on the kde site say
that I need

in dovecot.conf:
auth default {
  mechanisms = plain login
	passdb pam {
	}
	userdb passwd {
	}
	socket listen {
		client {
		path = /var/spool/postfix/private.auth
		mode = 0660
		user = postfix
		group = postfix
		}
	}
}
 and in postfix's main.cf

smtp_sasl_type = dovecot
smtp_sasl_path = private/auth
smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtp_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, permit_sasl_authenticated,
reject_unauth_destination

I've done that, but it doesn't work.  It looks as though I have to set up a
password database, but I'd really like it to simply use the login database.
I'm out of my depth here.

Anne