[Dovecot] IMAP - multi-simultaneous-user mail store

Tim Alberts talberts at msiscales.com
Wed Mar 19 21:49:59 EET 2008

Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 3/19/2008, Tim Alberts (talberts at msiscales.com) wrote:
>> The possibilities for sharing emails in groups seem endless to me,
>> but it depends on if it's a 'use' or 'abuse' of the IMAP protocol,
>> and if Dovecot in-particular is designed to be able to handle this.
>
> Dovecot doesn't YET have proper/full folder sharing support, but you
> can still accomplish it easily enough...
>
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/SharedMailboxes

Thank you for the responses.  The information there is helpful, but not
quite what I was thinking.  The documentation looks at sharing an mbox
or Maildir file among multiple accounts.  I was thinking more along the
lines of a single account that multiple users can log into, perhaps
simultaneously.

For the sake of learning, I have been testing a single account while
using thunderbird, outlook, and eudora simultaneously on the same
account.  It mostly gets notifications when a file is moved/deleted,
etc.  This seemed like an adequate solution in my mind.

So my question, is sharing an mbox file among multiple accounts, or
having multiple people log into the same account the preferred/safer way
to go?