[Dovecot] Quotas from Active Directory LDAP

Mohammad "Shami" Al-Shami mohammad at al-shami.net
Sat Mar 22 13:32:22 EET 2008

Hi Guys,

I've been trying to get this to work for 3 days now, but no luck. I
have Dovecot set with an Active Directory back-end. Everything is
working properly but I can't get user specific quotas.I tried with
both 1.0.13 and 1.0-rc7. All users have the same quota which is set in
dovecot.conf

dovecot -n
# 1.0.13: /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf
Warning: mail_extra_groups setting was often used insecurely so it is
now deprecated, use mail_access_groups or mail_privileged_group
instead
protocols: imap
ssl_disable: yes
disable_plaintext_auth: no
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
valid_chroot_dirs: /var/vmail
verbose_proctitle: yes
mail_extra_groups: mail
mail_access_groups: mail
default_mail_env: maildir:/var/vmail/%n
mail_location: maildir:/var/vmail/%n
mail_debug: yes
mail_plugins: quota imap_quota
imap_client_workarounds: delay-newmail outlook-idle netscape-eoh
tb-extra-mailbox-sep
auth default:
  username_format: %Lu
  debug: yes
  debug_passwords: yes
  passdb:
    driver: ldap
    args: /usr/local/etc/dovecot-ldap.conf
  userdb:
    driver: ldap
    args: /usr/local/etc/dovecot-ldap.conf
  socket:
    type: listen
    master:
      path: /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
      mode: 384
      user: dovecot
      group: dovecot
plugin:
  quota: maildir:storage=10240

dovecot-ldap.conf
uris = ldap://172.16.201.138:3268
dn = CN=LDAP User,OU=Special Users,DC=shami,DC=net
dnpass = qwerty
auth_bind = yes
ldap_version = 3
base = dc=shami,dc=net
user_attrs = sAMAccountName=home,title=quota
user_filter = (&(ObjectClass=person)(sAMAccountName=%u))
pass_filter = (&(ObjectClass=person)(sAMAccountName=%u))
user_global_uid = 1001
user_global_gid = 1001

I'm storing the quota in the title field (tried other fields as well)
in the following format:
maildir:storage=512000

Yet I still get 10MB for all users.

Any idea what I'm missing?