[Dovecot] Dovecot and kmail IMAP resources

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 23 16:43:54 EET 2008

On Saturday 22 March 2008 14:53, Anne Wilson wrote:
> For some time now I have been trying to get IMAP resources working on
> KMail. I have followed the docs from kde, but they tell how to configure
> cyrus IMAP, so I've had to learn as I went along.

Referring back to those docs, it seems that this is the part that I'm missing
(cyrus instructions follow):

<quote>
Now add a user named groupware and set a password for it, using your usual
system tools.  It should be in an unprivileged group such as nobody and does
not require a login shell or a home directory.

Now I have to create the user and an IMAP in cyrus also:
	# cyramd --user cyrus localhost

	after entering the password for the admin user cyrus, you get the prompt
localhost>

	localhost> cm user.groupware
	localhost> lm 		_lists the mailbox onlyjust created_
	user.groupware (\HasNoChildren))
	localhost> quit

You can type help for a list of available commands.

You can check what has happened with:

	ls -l /var/spool/cyrus/mail/g/user/groupware
	total 12
	-rw------- 1 cyrus mail	4 	Oct 29 20:55 	cyrus.cache
	-rw------- 1 cyrus mail 	155 	Oct 29 20:55	cyrus.header
	-rw------- 1 cyrus mail	76	Oct 29 20:55	cyrus.index

Now you should be able to connect with an IMAP client as the groupware user
and see the INBOX.

NOTE
In the IMAP protocol, selecting the mailbox INBOX is a magic word, a sort of
"alias" for the above directory structure.  The client sees INBOX, and the
IMAP server maps it in the /var/spool/cyrus/mail/... folder and file
structure.
</quote>

How would I create a dovecot user instead of this cyrus one?  My own attempt
have totally failed.

Anne