[Dovecot] Dovecot Startup error on FreeBSD

Johan Hendriks j.hendriks at schavemaker.com
Fri Mar 28 09:32:03 EET 2008

Dien Phan schreef:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed latest Dovecot 1.0.13 on a FreeBSD 6.2 with XMail
> (www.xmailserver.org). It works OK except one thing: error on startup.
> After each reboot there are lots of such error:
>
> dovecot: Mar 28 08:54:38 Error: child 916 (login) returned error 89
> dovecot: Mar 28 08:54:54 Error: imap-login: No authentication sockets
> found
>
> When I restart dovecot by running startup script
> /usr/local/etc/rc.d/dovecot.sh restart the problem disappears. I have
> to manually restart dovecot after each reboot. Below is used conf file
>
> $ dovecot -n
> # 1.0.13: /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf
> log_path: /var/log/dovecot.log
> info_log_path: /var/log/dovecot-info.log
> protocols: imap
> ssl_disable: yes
> disable_plaintext_auth: no
> login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
> login_executable: /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
> mail_location: maildir:~/Maildir
> dotlock_use_excl: yes
> maildir_copy_with_hardlinks: yes
> mail_plugins: antispam
> imap_client_workarounds: delay-newmail outlook-idle netscape-eoh
> tb-extra-mailbox-sep
> auth default:
>   verbose: yes
>   passdb:
>     driver: checkpassword
>     args: /var/MailRoot/bin/dovecot_xmail
>   userdb:
>     driver: static
>     args: uid=vxmail gid=vxmail home=/var/MailRoot/domains/%d/%n
> allow_all_users=yes
>   socket:
>     type: listen
>     master:
>       path: /var/run/dovecot/auth-master
>       mode: 384
>       user: vxmail
> plugin:
>   antispam_signature: X-DSPAM-Signature
>   antispam_trash: Trash
>   antispam_spam: SPAM
>   antispam_dspam_binary: /usr/local/bin/dspam
>   antispam_dspam_args: --user;%u
>
> I googled and found similar post at
> http://www.mail-archive.com/dovecot@dovecot.org/msg01793.html,
> http://www.mail-archive.com/dovecot@dovecot.org/msg01798.html and
> http://www.mail-archive.com/dovecot@dovecot.org/msg01831.html
>
> but answers there don't meet my case. I don't use sql backend. And
> startup script doesn't delete /var/run/dovecot/ directory after
> Dovecot is started. After booting when error still there I have in
> this directory:
>
> $ ls /var/run/dovecot
> auth-master     dict-server     login           master.pid
>
> If restart dovecot (working OK):
> $ ls /var/run/dovecot
> auth-master     auth-worker.960 dict-server     login
> master.pid
>
> As we see dovecot works when there appears a file named
> auth-worker.960 (the number 960 changes each time it restarted).
>
> Please help me to fix this. Thanks in advance.
>
> Dien Phan

What is happening i think is that dovecot is trying to start before
Xmail, and then there is no autentication backend yet.

look in the dovecot startup file /usr/loval/etc/rc.d/dovecot  and add
xmail (or however it is named in the startup sequense) to the REQUIRE
option

# PROVIDE: dovecot
# REQUIRE: LOGIN ntpdate xmail
# KEYWORD: shutdown