[Dovecot] FAQ: setting thunderbird to talk to dovecot

Mauricio Tavares raubvogel at gmail.com
Fri May 2 18:50:41 EEST 2008

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 7:54 AM, Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo at gmail.com> wrote:

 > Is thunderbird set to use pop3 or imap?

   It can do both. I'd rather use imap but I am that kind of guy. ;)

 > Anyway, I don't support thunderbird as I have never used it, but I can tell
 > you how to connect to imap via telnet:
 >
 > telnet  mail.thespider.com 143
 > 1 login boris at mail.thespider.com creepycrawly
 > 1 logout
 >
 > You can see this:
 >  http://www.macgeekery.com/tips/troubleshooting/troubleshooting_imap

      This is what happened:

 [raub at yakko ~]$ telnet mail.thespider.com 143

Trying 192.168.1.12...
 Connected to mail.thespider.com (192.168.1.12).
 Escape character is '^]'.
 * OK dovecot ready.

1 login boris at mail.thespider.com creepycrawly
 1 NO Authentication failed.
 1 login boris at thespider.com creepycrawly
 1 OK Logged in.
 1 logout
 * BYE Logging out
 1 OK Logout completed.

Connection closed by foreign host.
 [raub at yakko ~]$

 I wonder if it has to do with the fact the virtual mailbox domain I
 created in postfix is defined as thespider.com while the machine
 running postfix/dovecot is mail.thespider.com.